9.22.2008

The Life Pursuit

Good times at work this weekend, folks! Friday night, 45 minutes into my shift, I called my first code, and my patient died. So suddenly, so sadly, so totally alone. In fact, she is still in the hospital morgue because there is no one to claim her body and pay for a burial. She did not have even one person in her life who would be bothered by her death. And she was not old, not at all.

(Happy Monday y'all!)

Then, this morning, 45 minutes before my shift was to end, I found myself trapped in a room with a batshitcrazy bipolar 6-foot tall woman who seemed to mean business when it came to potentially kicking my pregnant behind all over that room. I managed to talk her down and get her away from the door so I could exit that very hostile and scary environment. All I could think about was her punching me right in the stomach.

I am many months into the "ready for a significant change" phase in my career, and this weekend just solidified it even further. I am really looking forward to my 3-month maternity leave so I can evaluate and make a new plan.

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!
On this day a year ago, I married Adam, and most of you were there with us! "They" say the first year of marriage is the hardest. If that is true, then we are in for a fine life together because this has been a really great year. I won't get all sentimental on here, but I had to at least acknowledge this very special day. We are going to New Orleans tonight and are staying at the same hotel we stayed at for our honeymoon. We are going to a concert and we are going to eat good food and year-old wedding cake and we are going to lounge about poolside and we are going to probably be pretty shmoopy. Should be grand!

4 comments:

usafhockey said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!! May your poolside lounging include jumping in fully clothed ;)

-L

Ashley said...

happy anniversary!

Nurse Wonderful said...

Happy anniversary! I know I don't keep in touch, but I keep up with you guys here. Sosososo happy for you. smooches from "up north". We miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hey, hope you had a wonderful time in my favorite city, and I sure hope you did jump right in fully clothed! What a great time we all had a year ago, thanks again for such an amazing celebration. And I'm tickled pink that you two are so united, it's just great. Soon to be three. Long may you thrive, together in love.

Hugs, Uncle Booger