6.10.2010

Elusive Sleep

Between constant pressure on my bladder, the frequent need to reposition myself because of hip pain or leg cramps or general discomfort, being hot, being thirsty, just generally being restless, I am not sleeping well these days, no matter how tired I am. I don't mean to complain. I realize I signed up for this. I am just stating some unpleasant facts, if you'll allow.

Last night was the worst. I was totally engrossed in a book until about midnight, feeling that guilt with every passing minute that, gosh, I should really put this book down and get some sleep already. When I finally did, I was up 30 minutes later headed to the bathroom. From the hallway, I glanced into the kitchen and saw something out of the corner of my eye, a scurrying movement. It moved from one corner of the kitchen and did a full lap in the blink of an eye, before I could really process what I was seeing. I am 90% sure it was a mouse. I thought, EEEEEK!!! But I only said,  "Adam, a mouse, I think I saw a mouse," as I stood totally helpless in the hallway, realizing there was nothing we could do at this point because the mouse was long gone to its super secret hiding place that he probably reached by distorting the diameter of his little body down to the size of my fingertip. Gross!! Then I went and stood in the doorway of our bedroom and watched my husband not even remotely budge from his super peaceful slumber. Jerk!

I crawled back in bed with my unfinished bladder business, a complete and useless wimp. Then I heard big huge thumps and thuds on the porch but didn't think much of it. Dogs being dogs. I fell back asleep. Woke up about an hour later, looked out the window and saw Jesse, by the light of the moon, dragging some monstrous and recently dead possum across the yard. EW!!!!! He got it right up next to our window and then saw me watching. So he dropped the possum and shied away to bed, leaving the carcass right in full view from our bed. Thanks buddy!

It was all downhill from there. Coffee is brewing and plans are made for going to get some mouse traps this morning. Happy Thursday to you!

No comments: