10.27.2009

Have you ever.....

weaned a baby? If so, help!

So, the one year birthday is coming up, and my kid WON'T EAT! I am still nursing him 4-5 times a day, and I think my supply is dwindling because he stays totally restless during these nursing sessions. I have been trying to push the solids and it is just not taking. The only things he will eat consistently are yogurt, guacamole, and bananas. I try to give him everything that we are eating, and he just ends up playing with it and throwing it on the floor. If I try to spoon-feed him anything other than yogurt, he puckers his lips out and turns his head away.

Also, he resists the sippy cup. Won't drink juice. Will barely drink milk.

How am I supposed to wean him? I feel like he's not getting enough calories as it is. If I quit nursing altogether, will he just eventually get so hungry that he'll start experimenting and eating new things?

I really don't know what to do! Any advice is greatly appreciated. I need him weaned by November 21st.

5 comments:

nonni said...

Why Nov 21st?

Anonymous said...

Did you try feeding him Tang pie?

John said...

Guacamole of all things? Weird, Gus, weird.

Ashley said...

hey- I posted of facebook, but I wanted to add that some kids don't drink from a sippy at all, just go straight to a cup. Of course, he can't hold it now, so you would have to hold it up to his mouth, which would be a pain, but it would work. Its hard to remember too that their tummies are small. What seems like not enough in our minds quite often is enough for them. I had a really hard time wrapping my brain around that. He may be throwing most of it on the floor but the few bites of each thing he is getting may be enough. I already said this, but I would cut back my nursing sessions and keep giving him food. He will eat if he is truly hungry. Also, talk to your dr about starting him on whole milk.

Mandy said...

I agree with Ashley...he will eat if he is truly hungry. I was super worried about weaning Emmie but it went totally naturally. I just gradually cut out the daytime feedings, then the nighttime, then the morning was the last to go for us. It happened at 13 months, she just would get down and go play. I thought she would never want to quit but she totally surprised me.

Just keep offering solids and a cup. I would nurse if he requests it but other than that I would keep offering the food. And my pediatrician said that there is nothing wrong with being redundant with the foods. As long as he is eating something! And fruits and veggies are in the same category so as long as he is getting one of them. :) Have you tried steamed fruits and veggies like apples and pears or peas? They have always been favorites of ours. Good luck!