5.23.2009

Mexican Chocolate Tofu Pudding

Yes, you read that right. Tofu Pudding. This recipe is out of this world!! So good you wanna slap yo mama!! Also, it is ridiculously easy to make.

Some notes of my own: I used a little more than 8 ounces of chocolate and the consistency of my pudding turned into more of a mousse. I also used a full teaspoon of chili powder and I still couldn't taste it. Next time, I will use chili powder AND cayenne pepper for an extra kick. Lastly, I did not chill mine in separate ramekins but rather in one large bowl and it took about 2 hours to chill properly.

You really do not taste tofu at all in this, but it gives the pudding such a wonderful texture.

Time: 10 minutes, plus 30 minutes’ chilling
3/4 cup sugar
1 pound silken tofu (*silken is the same as soft*)
8 ounces high-quality bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
Chocolate shavings (optional).

1. In a small pot, combine sugar with 3/4 cup water; bring to a boil and cook until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.

2. Put all ingredients except for chocolate shavings in a blender and purée until completely smooth, stopping machine to scrape down its sides if necessary. Divide among 4 to 6 ramekins and chill for at least 30 minutes. If you like, garnish with chocolate shavings before serving.

Recipe courtesy of the great Mark Bittman.

2 comments:

John said...

I suppose I could have gone my whole life without learning the word "ramekin," but thanks anyway. Knowledge is power!

Anonymous said...

Ramekin is a fancy way to say "pushing a family member"...Right?