4.28.2009

Ostentatious much?

So I feel a bit hypocritical when it comes to baby crap out on the market. On the one hand, I enjoy snarking over such necessities as baby cages and shopping cart seat covers. We are pretty minimal here. We don't have any baby DVDs, only 1 battery-operated noise-making bright plastic thing that spazzes out (which Adam confessed he was growing attached to), no big garish walker thingies or baby "gyms" that take up half the living room. Gus plays really well with whatever you give him (right now he is discovering a whisk), as all babies do, and he is developing just fine.

I don't want to be too precious about things, so is it psychotic for me to buy an $18 stainless steel sippy cup because I don't want him drinking out of plastic? How about an $8 set of bamboo baby utensils? Do I believe it is going to hurt Gus to use a plastic spoon? No, but I'd rather him use as many natural materials as possible. Adam and I don't eat with plastic utensils, nor do we drink out of plastic cups, generally speaking. Why should Gus? It's not outrageous for me to want him to handle a wooden object over a Polystyrene one, right?

Ah, the ridiculously decadent and privileged life of an American mother, writing a blog about what utensils to use for her darling 6-month old baby as she sits at home on a Tuesday afternoon at 2:00. I need to get out of the house.

1 comment:

Grandma said...

So are you talking about the battery operated monkey ball that Gus' grandma got him, that rolls and laughs and shouts "woah ho ho" and "yoohoo!" Gus loves that! I think i'll buy him some more. Oh, and i'll be sure to throw in a few batteries. I can't be blamed for showing partiality with my grandkids over the battery operated toys.