1.23.2009

Homemade Granola

A few of you asked for this recipe on Facebook, but it'll be a lot easier to post it here. I've been wanting to try to make my own granola for a while because it's so expensive at the store. Well, I finally did, and it is wonderfully easy and even tastier than the most expensive granola you can buy!

This recipe is courtesy of Mark Bittman, who has a fantastic food blog called "Bitten" on the New York Times website.

Mix together the following:
6 c. rolled oats (not quick or instant)
2 c. mixed nuts and seeds (whatever you have on hand; I used a mix of sunflower seeds, walnuts, and pecans - which I chopped up finely in the food processor, leaving a few chunks for texture)
1 c. dried unsweetened coconut (this is optional; I opted out, since I didn't have coconut on hand)
cinnamon, to taste (I probably used a tablespoon)
dash salt
1/2 to 1 c. honey or pure maple syrup (I used 1/2 c. each; I'd say if you don't have real maple syrup, use a full cup of honey. Please don't ruin this recipe using Aunt Jemima!!)

Once you mix all of that up, spread it out on 2 cookies sheets. I actually threw a little canola oil in mine because when I stirred it, it still seemed a little dry. Put it in a 350 oven for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally so it will brown evenly. I probably cooked mine closer to 40 minutes because it didn't seem to be getting crunchy enough. In retrospect, 30 minutes would've been perfect, as it crunches up nicely when it cools to room temperature.

Once it's cooled, add in your raisins or other dried fruit, if you like, then put in an airtight container. Voila! This makes enough granola to get Adam and I through a few weeks, easily. It was probably about $6-7 worth of ingredients.

Added bonus: it makes your house smell sooooo good while it's baking!

If you have your own granola recipe, please share!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too was looking for a recipe for trail mix, close enough. Sounds delic!!!

Anonymous said...

So cool that you are making your own granola..! I used to make it too.. it is much cheaper.
For awhile I made cat food too, but it gave all the cats diarhea so I quit.

Anonymous said...

So cool that you are making your own granola..! I used to make it too.. it is much cheaper.
For awhile I made cat food too, but it gave all the cats diarhea so I quit.