8.13.2008

Scare Tactics

I had a doctor's appointment today, and everything went well, up until I requested that we defer the Rhogam shot (I'm Rh negative) until my husband determines his blood type. The look on her face at the moment was total, utter disapproval. She asked me why. I stated the obvious: that if Adam is negative, our baby and all future babies will be negative, and it's an unnecessary treatment. She asked me how Adam was going to determine his blood type, to which I responded that he had donated blood at the Red Cross. She looked at me dubiously and said that they have been known to make mistakes.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A blood bank getting a donor's blood type wrong? Wouldn't that completely shatter the reliability of one of the most basic and important treatments in medicine?

I like my OB doc. She is ok. But this truly annoyed me. She said she really disapproved of my choice, and I reminded her that I hadn't actually MADE the choice yet and that I was just waiting for more information.

Aggravating.

They must get paid well for administering Rhogam shots. Anyone know anything about that?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm, yeah...(Didn't you see that documentary by Michael Moore called 'SICKO'? It's a must-see for every American with or without health insurance.) Mmm, yeah, where was I? Oh, right: "They" get paid well to administer damned-near anything, the more the merrier, all the way to the bank. You made the right decision, which was to defer your decision until all the facts are in. And then go with what you know. Don't let the turkeys getcha down, Laura Sue!

Hugs, Uncle Booger

Anonymous said...

My guess is that the doctor was annoyed that you demonstrated that you were knowledgeable about the issue and that you and your husband were going to make an informed decision. I doubt all doctors are that way, but I imagine many do not like to be questioned or second-guessed.

Jill/ No B said...

Good for you. Way to go. I'm proud of you. Here's a little blurb for you: First, expectant mothers should question the rationale for rhogam injections in pregnancy. Second, if rhogam administration during pregnancy is absolutely necessary, then expectant mothers should demand mercury free rhogam. Mercury-free rhogam is available in this country from Bayer Pharmaceuticals under their product name of BayRoh-D. This mercury free product has been available sine 1996. Their number is 800-468-0894.” WinRho SDF, made by the Cangene Corp., is a freeze-dried product that contains no preservatives.
cle on rhogam

Anonymous said...

I think Joey's guess was probably right-on-the-nose, but the top prize goes to Jill: Kudos to Jill for her well-informed, well-cited and USEFUL input! Hats off to Jill. (Yes, I've been watching the Olympics...How could you tell?)

~Uncle Booger

Laura Sue said...

I believe thimerosal (which contains ethylmercury) has been removed from RhoGAM since 01, but I will indeed double check before getting the shot, if Adam turns up positive.