6.17.2008

Book update

Remember when I proclaimed publicly on this blog that I was going to read 100 books this year? HA HA HA HA HA!!! What a riot! At this rate, I'll be very lucky to get to 75.

17 - "Siddhartha" by Herman Hesse (was a favorite of mine in college, as it was a classic among the hippie circles; happy to rediscover this fantastic tale of a young man's spiritual journey)
18 - "Icy Sparks" by Gwen Rubio (totally crappy drivel, what a waste of time!! I actually didn't finish the last 30-40 pages, it was THAT bad. But I'm counting it anyway because I can.)
19 - "Grace (Eventually)" by Anne Lammott (love this woman, she talks about the difficult realities of faith and is totally honest, but in this collection, she comes across as pretty angry. Much prefer "Traveling Mercies.")
20 - "Jesus' Son" by Denis Johnson (a very quick punch to the gut)
21 - "Tar Baby" by Toni Morrison (Morrison is a national treasure; read anything by her you can get your hands on)
22 - "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy (exquisitely beautiful, my first McCarthy book and definitely not my last; this is one of the best books I've read by a living author)
23 - "The Last American Man" by Elizabeth Gilbert (highly highly recommended by my best friend, so I knew I would love it, and I did. Nonfiction account of a brilliant, passionate man who lives off the grid in the Appalachian mountains. An inspiring page-turner.)
24 - "Spiritual Midwifery" by Ina Mae Gaskin (tale after tale of lovely and strong hippie ladies giving birth naturally on The Farm in Tennessee; every pregnant lady should read this book; makes you realize how the culture of birth in this country has gone horribly awry)

Anyone got any good recommendations? Throw them my way.

2 comments:

J. R. said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I put several of these on my reading list. My problem is that my list keeps growing faster than I am reading. And every time I work in the used book store I come home with a couple more! I've also been reading some nonfiction, like viking history and information on aging (go figure).

Anonymous said...

Looking for a read to change your point of view? I found this combination of a one/two punch to be quite effective: Jered Diamond's "Guns, Germs and Steel" followed by Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States" it really puts this society in perspective. Niether is an easy read, far from it, but the combination is a powerful one, you won't think about what you see the same afterwards. And that's what reading is really for, isn't it?
~Uncle Booger