5.01.2008

My skipper

Last weekend my Aunt Lois and Uncle Eddie invited Adam to be their crew in a sailboat race in Ft. Walton Beach, Florida. It all worked out so that we both could go, and it was such a nice little getaway for a weekend. I mostly relaxed on the beach while they were racing, but I did get a few rides on the sailboat, which was lovely and peaceful. Oh and I had totally forgotten how beautiful the beaches in Florida are. I guess anything looks good compared to Gulfport, but seriously, that water was perfect.

Sailing culture is funny. The Ft. Walton Yacht Club, who hosted the race, was charmingly blue-collar in appearance and attitude. Yet the place was full of 45-year olds who had already retired with millions in the bank. Lots of jokes about interest rates and third/fourth homes and such. A strange world that I know nothing about, but full of extremely gracious folks who couldn't have been nicer. And big huge thanks to my aunt and uncle for what was essentially a free beach vacation with a weekend's worth of very valuable sailing lessons for my husband.

Here are a few pictures from the weekend:



No comments: