4.19.2008

Job Frustrations

One thing that I have found really challenging about working on a general floor is retaining some compassion for the drug abusers and alcoholics that get hospitalized over and over again. We call them frequent flyers. We had a patient on our floor for just over FOUR MONTHS who had been originally hospitalized after being found in a ditch in a wheelchair totally cracked out with sores all over. So we took care of this patient for 1/3 of a year, after the patient repeatedly refused to be placed in rehab or in nursing homes, even though he clearly demonstrated a total inability to care for himself outside of the hospital. It's not that he was a difficult patient. He was actually very easy to take care of as far as his physical needs were concerned. The hard part was knowing that one day he'd be discharged and that then it would just be a matter of time before we'd see him again.

Well, he lasted 8 days out there. I showed up to work last night and saw his name on the door and I swear I could have cried. Or punched the wall. Do I believe this man is ill? Yes, I believe drug addiction is an illness, born out of horrible personal choices. Do I believe this patient deserves the best care I can give him? Absolutely, and I try to deliver that each time I am assigned to him. But the frustration that comes when a patient like this single-handedly casts a bright spotlight on everything that is wrong and broken with our health care system is very real and I am still learning how to deal with that. It is quite possible that this patient will spend another few months on our floor. Every time he gets close to discharge, all he has to say is that he is feeling some chest pain or something and then it will be another work-up at taxpayers' expense and more days spent in that warm hospital bed with 3 solid meals a day and cable tv and room service. I believe the plan is to get him involuntarily committed, but they tried that last time and it failed.

I hope I haven't shared too much. I always worry about HIPAA. This patient deserves his privacy and dignity like anyone else. Hopefully I don't sound like Nurse Ratched. But these kinds of patient make me want to work with babies or children. Any population that isn't responsible in any way for its illnesses sounds like a dream.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I agree that the U. S. health care system (such as it is) needs attention, I am not sure I understand how this crackhead patient "single-handedly casts a bright spotlight on everything that is wrong and broken" with it. Have you ever thought about the fact that there is something wrong and broken with the patient that can't be cured by any health care system? A health care system--even the world's best--cannot cure the fallen nature of man, which is what is manifesting itself in the patient in the form of drug abuse.

Laura Sue said...

I guess I am thinking about the system in terms of it permitting someone to take up a hospital bed for 4 months without us really accomplishing anything for him. And allowing this person to continue to refuse placement into a more appropriate setting. Unfortunately, I agree with you and I really don't see this patient ever being "cured" of what's wrong with him. This cycle will continue until he finds his way into the early grave he's been digging for himself probably his whole life.

Anonymous said...

As an experienced healthcare professional, I've been dealing with HIPPA since it came into existance, and as I understand it, since you've not mentioned the man's name, social security number/medicare #, or other truly identifying information, hey, no blood, no foul. You're in the clear.

As for 'the fallen nature of man', I don't buy it for a second, but hey, that's just a matter of opinion, to each their own. But the US healthcare system is definately not working well, not for that addicted guy, nor for the taxpayers paying for his seemingly non-effective healthcare these past few months...I hope everyone reading this has or will see the film 'Sicko'...Lots of great stuff there.
~Uncle Booger