2.22.2008

New skills

People, I am learning to knit. My fabulous Aunt Judy showed me how to cast on and how to make a basic knitting stitch this past weekend in snowy Illinois. I am now the very proud new owner of my grandmother's knitting needles (or, knitting sticks, as I naively referred to them before I was wise to the jargon) and some extremely old yarn to practice with. Now that I am separated from my sensei Aunt Judy by hundreds of miles, I am seeking a new tutor. In the meantime, guess what I am using? Freakin' youtube!! How fabulous is that? There are loads of really decent videos on there that are superior in nearly every way to drawn diagrams in knitting books. Is this thoroughly modern of me or what? I love it! I have already been commissioned for a potholder by my friend Ryan in Chicago. I won't let you down!

1 comment:

Uncle Booger said...

Oh, VERY nice! I want a potholder, too! Chicago may soon be the epicenter of the world's coolest potholders...Today, Chicago, tomorrow, the WORLD! Start crankin' out those potholders, dear, the demand could be daunting soon: build it and they will come, licking blistered fingertips.

So, eh, not to put too fine a line on it, Laura, but as commissioned artworks are a thing near-n-dear to my wallet, uhm, well, how much do you want for such a work of art?...Or...Perhaps we could work out an art-swap, eh? I will soon be breaking my ten-year fast from ceramics, albeit solely with low fire red clay, not my long-lost standard high fired stoneware, but maybe you'd like a terra cotta planter, hmm? Or a girly ring 'finger' jewelbox thingee? Think it over, decide what non-food vessel/sculpture/thingee your little heart desires, then...Gimme a ring-a-ding, lemme know whatcha want!
~Uncle Booger (Oh, right, I almost forgot: you prolly have NO idea who Uncle Booger is, eh? Snicker. Ask your lovely spouse, or just intuit it...Or alright, a clue: I was already in the pool when you ruined your wedding dress by jumping in.)