2.22.2008

And I'm proud to be an American...


where at least I know I'm free! And where I know I can count on the Girl Scouts of America to provide our great nation with a freakin' crapload of cookies, now trans-fat free. Way to keep with the times, GSA. The cookies have their own myspace page now too (seriously, check it out), so double kudos to keeping with the times! I have been bombarded at the hospital with eager moms trying to sell cookies for their daughters. I have resisted the urge because I have visions of myself devouring an entire sleeve of Thin Mints (frozen, of course) in one sitting. One lady claimed to have sold 900 boxes this month.(!) It is not an uncommon site to see someone pushing a cart loaded with cookies, making deliveries all over the hospital. It has been a long time since I have lived in a situation where Girl Scout cookies are such a prominent feature of life at this time of the year. In college and in Colorado, I wasn't working with or hanging out with a lot of people that had school-aged daughters. So it sorta slipped my mind for the past ten years that this goes on. Every year. For over 80 years.

One of my patients the other night got HOT while recalling how she was fired as a troop leader once the Girl Scouts of America found out she was a Canadian citizen. I got the feeling it was a long time ago, yet these feelings seemed so fresh. I found this oddly hilarious.

This invasion of my brain space by things Scout-related has also conjured up memories of my mother serving her role as the Webelo den mother when my brothers were moving up the ranks of the Boy Scouts. Somehow rice krispie treats are involved in this memory. I never managed to be part of the Girl Scout club. Never even a Brownie. I remember being quite jealous of Ashley because she got to be a Brownie and had that special crisp brown uniform with the sash and badges. I REALLY wish I had a picture handy of a young Ashley sporting her Brownie garb. Ash, am I wrong or did you have the poodle perm at that time? I can see it so clearly in my mind, and it is truly a thing of beauty.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alas, our rise through the ranks of the Boy Scouts of America did not take us beyond Webelos, as I recall.

Laura Sue said...

Yes, Joey the Eagle Scout was never meant to be.

Anonymous said...

So sorry, honey, that I didn't enroll you in GSA. I always did feel bad that you missed out on that. You were pretty involved in soccer and ballet for a period of time, that kept you quite busy. Your brothers never did want to do ballet.

Anonymous said...

Laura, I think a picture of Brownie Ashley could be arranged.

For a price. Two boxes of tagalongs.

Ashley said...

I really don't understand, after all these years, why my poodle perm is still used as a reference in every familial memory. Let it die, please.

And no, the pood was not until the girl scout years.

Just kidding, I know you were not only green that I was wearing the brown, but that you didn't have the old lady curls too. Its okay.