2.06.2008

Mardi Gras Day #2

Adam and I got to sleep in on Monday and regain our strength. We walked nearly 15 miles on Sunday, so we were pretty beat. We got up and had lunch at this little cafe down the road that is NEVER open on weekends, and then loaded up the dogs and headed out. We had to board the dogs for the first time ever, which was a huge bummer, but it worked out ok. We left them at a kennel north of New Orleans, which gave us the chance to drive across Lake Pontchartrain on the longest bridge in the world.



When we got to New Orleans, we headed up to Bourbon Street after checking into our hotel to set our eyes on the madness and chaos there. It was actually pretty tame compared to what I always imagined it would be, but then, it was only about 4:00 in the afternoon. You could move about easily, and we didn't see any vomit/urine/feces anywhere. We did see some boobs, but it wasn't excessive. You could feel the crowd thickening and getting drunker as it got darker.



We got out of there to head back down St. Charles to meet my brother again. Monday night's parade was Orpheus, and it was every bit as exciting and fun as Sunday night. Here is one of the flambeau carriers who was warning us ladies to "watch your weave" as he passed. Awesome.



Here I am competing with Joey's friend with the tuba next to me. Surprisingly, his tuba receptacle didn't get him any more beads or doubloons than the rest of us. But it did allow us to see what it looks like when you have a bunch of crap in the bottom of your tuba.




Being at these parades is so much fun, I can't even tell you. People get so into it! I want to go every year. Here is Joey with his prized catch of Monday night. Or at least it was prized until we realized it wasn't a wolf but a husky. Oh well. Still a good catch even if you are not an 80-year old woman hung up on beanie babies.



Lastly, here is me and my dear sweet husband who trekked all ove New Orleans carrying my heavy load of beads.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It IS a wolf. I declare it to be so.

Ashley said...

that picture of Joey is the cutest. And it looks like a sweet little cuddly husky to me too.

Wish we would have been there too! Looks like you guys had fun.

By the way, I promise I am going to add you to my blog roll soon...I need some maintenance time with my blog.

Anonymous said...

It is NOT a husky. It IS a wolf. I am a Wolfe, and I caught a wolf--end of story. It was destiny.