1.28.2008

Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead

I figured now is the best time to read this play, having just finished Hamlet. It has been sitting on my shelf for years untouched. It's a quick read, which is good because I'm going to have to read it again immediately to get a better understanding. It's hard to digest if you aren't very familiar with the Theater of the Absurd, which I am not. I think the point is to be utterly confused at first. Stoppard has created a world without any logic or anything reliable. The world R & G find themselves in is totally featureless. They cannot make any sense of it. Their attempts at dealing with their "reality" are equally absurd. The protagonists are essentially called into existence at the beginning of the play, with no memory, no idea of why they are there or what their task is. This makes for some very bleakly funny passages, in which their repeated attempts to discover significance fall short.

This is pretty much as far as my thoughts go after the first reading. Maybe I'll have more to say after I read it again.

No comments: