1.02.2008

No Trespassing!

One thing about living in the South is how fiercely protective some people are over their "private property." I get that looters were a big problem right after The Storm (as everyone down here refers to Katrina), but, well, the looting has stopped. It stopped a while back. Do you really need to put a "no trespassing" sign on your porch? Good, honest people (the majority of people, I think) understand that your porch and your home are off limits to us without invitation or good intentions. And the bad people? They probably won't be deterred by your signs. Even more irritating and insulting are the signs posted next to totally empty, fenced-off lots. Just what damage do you think I am going to do to your overgrown lot? Here is a small sample from the walk I took the dogs on this morning. All of these signs are posted within a 10-minute walk of my house. It's hard not to feel isolated, like no one wants anything to do with each other in this town. Native Gulfportians would probably call me naive on this one, but I really believe if people took these signs down, nothing would change.








No comments: