1.23.2008

Goodbye puppy


And goodbye carpet stains.

A few weekends ago, Adam and I were out hiking and camping with the dogs in the woods. When we were making our way back to the Jeep, this little pooch came up behind us and followed us 3 miles and ended up in the car with us. Of course I wanted to keep her but I knew we couldn't. So we took her to the Humane Society to see if she was chipped, which she wasn't. So we left her there and gave them our number and told them to call us if for some reason they were going to have to euthanize her. Well sure enough, a week later I got a call. They said she was "food aggressive," therefore they couldn't put her out in the kennels for adoption, so they were going to have to put her down. So we adopted her, not really knowing what we would do with her. She is such a sweet and good little dog, she was just starving to death! She ate around our dogs with only one minor scuffle for a week and a half. To think she could have been killed for nothing! Anyway, my wonderful brother with his billion church connections found a home for her.

Adam took her this morning to her new life. I was sad to see her go. Scooby and Jesse, not so much. They didn't so much as bat an eye when her cute little doggy behind walked out the door. They tolerated her, but that was as far as the love went. The house is a lot quieter now. And this is a strange sensation to be sitting here at the computer, not worrying about where she might be pissing in the house. I guess I won't miss that, let's be real.

So this whole experience has shown me that Adam and I are in no way ready for a permanent 3rd dog. BUT!! I do think we could make room for a kitteh, what do you think?? We are also going to sign up to foster dogs from the shelter that need a temporary place to convalesce while they are waiting for adoption. But that will have to wait until after February because next month is gonna be a busy one.

No comments: