5.10.2009

Appropriation

Anyone know of any cool Mother's Day/Father's Day traditions that I can hijack? I strongly prefer to keep these holidays simple in our family, with the one obvious exception of the $100 gently used Dale Earnhardt, Jr. cardboard cutout, which I fully expect to see in my bedroom in the morning when I get home, and if I don't, will have to consider my first Mother's Day a massive failure.

I will generally take any excuse to celebrate anything at all, but I also bemoan the fact that the true spirit of pretty much every holiday becomes overshadowed by commerce and tangible things. I don't ever want Adam or Gus to feel that I will be disappointed if I'm not showered with jewelry, flowers, spa gift certificates, etc. I'd much rather adopt some simple but special practice that we can play out each year with our kids to celebrate our role in their lives.

Please share how you commemorate these occasions!

4 comments:

nonni said...

there's always burnt toast and oatmeal served in bed

WonderGirl said...

I know where you're coming from- there are a lot of holidays and many people fall into buying their way through the celebration. But, I believe as Christians, we just have a natural tendency to celebrate life in a way that "gets it". You will figure out all the little traditions and special customs that define your family along the way-- sometimes they will come from your children's minds and not even yours! I would say though, don't let a fear of being caught up consumerism keep you from embracing holidays. We have the most to celebrate in this world, and I think doing it as big and beautiful as we can is a way of being thankful for all the many blessings we have. You know, of course, that I don't mean blowing money irresponsibly or anything-- I just mean, it's good to feast on life! :)

Happy Mother's Day.

Laura Sue said...

Shannon, you are totally right. It's much more fun to let traditions happen rather than try to come up with them. I'll wait to see what unfolds in the next few years. My intention to keep things on the simple side will in no way keep me from fully embracing the holidays!!

Ashley said...

well, Shan, that's awfully insightful and true, but I do have to admit that I brazenly hint that all I want is to sleep in (and on Saturday, not Sunday, since we have to get up for church anyway so a sleep in isn't fully utilized on Sunday). I can't help it.