8.19.2008

Stump stump stump my friends!

I finally got to watch the Saddleback Forum on the internets. McCain may as well have been giving a campaign speech. I found his answers way too canned and he meandered off-topic multiple times while Warren sat there gazing at him and allowing him these multiple tangents, despite initial pleadings against outright stumping. I don't think Obama particularly shined, but he was much more introspective and thoughtful in his responses and seemed to respect the nature of the forum MUCH more than McCain. Also, I was surprised to note that Obama was considerably more straightforward about his Christianity and what that means to him, whereas McCain truly seemed to dodge the issue. Strange. McCain never once mentioned Christ specifically. He just gave us a nice little story about someone drawing a cross in the sand.

I have a ton of respect and admiration for what McCain went through as a POW, but to slip in anecdotes from Vietnam as often as possible tells us nothing about his character and values TODAY. I basically learned nothing about McCain. Also, while courageous that he mentioned his failed marriage as his greatest personal failure, this seemed a trite confession lacking remorse or accountability. Interesting how he worded it: "the failure of my first marriage," as though a thing like that just happened without his involvement.

There is a lot of criticism out there over Obama's answers being too vague and indecisive. I think there is a big difference between nuanced and vague. I respect it when someone doesn't pretend to have easy answers to difficult questions.

Just my take. And now, Joey provoking me in the comments in 3.... 2..... 1.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We now take you to live coverage of the provocative Joey. Joey?

Ashley said...

Okay, so I haven't watched it yet, so I am speaking from total ignorance here, but I did want to add two things.

About his failed marriage confession, I don't think we can really quantify his remorse or accountability by the way he worded that. Although we bring personal lives into politics, and I am not saying we shouldn't to an extent because its the best judge of character, it still is what it is, personal. He may have been guarded because of the subject, because of the parties involved, and because its hard enough to talk about stuff like that in front of people you love, much less the entire country.

Secondly, the frequent reminders that he was a POW- yeah, I don't think he should be using it as a vote tactic, but I do think it is a reflection of his brave loyalty to his country and the sacrafices that he has already made for this country. I do think it counts for something.

Laura Sue said...

Agree on both counts. Maybe I am too hard on him. The way his first marriage failed calls his character into question, in my opinion, and he had a chance to address it, and he did not. But you are right - it's none of our business and the failed marriage itself has no bearing on his ability to lead.

I hope it didn't sound like I believe McCain's service doesn't count for anything. I do not believe that at all. But he should not build his campaign on that.

charlotte said...

I have heard that Obama did ok but McCain did great. You can not sugar coat the abortion issues and Obama can not give a straight answer about his stand on that. McCain can and did. Above all else that is important to me.

charlotte said...

oh yes you look cute in your round belly. can not wait for the beach.