7.28.2008

The surprise element

99 times out of 100, when I tell someone we did not find out the sex of the baby, the reaction is total and utter shock.

"What do you MEAN you don't know what you're having??" Um, I am expecting to deliver a human infant. That is quite enough information for me to process at this time.

"I could NEVER do that, no way! I would need to know as soon as possible!"

And, my favorite, "But what are you going to buy for the baby? How are you going to know what to BUY??!! And what are you going to do about the nursery? How can you possibly decorate it without knowing the sex of the baby?"

This line of thinking actually really annoys me. I totally understand the plain ol' curiosity factor, and of course we are curious too. (Just not so curious that we can't wait a few more months.) But to know that, really, some people just can't bear the thought of someone not bringing a little girl home in a pink outfit to a pink bedroom in a little pink carseat with a pink diaperbag is just disturbing.

I am certain this kid will survive being brought home in white or yellow or green to a neutrally decorated nursery without a major identity crisis.

Am I being too hard on folks? Or is this fixation on having all appropriately colored stuff for a baby really out of control?

P.S. This blog is not directed at any of my precious readers who may have expressed disappointment at our not finding out the sex of the baby. It is really mostly strangers who react this way. People I know and love are as excited about the surprise element as we are!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

no--it's much more exciting to be surprised! baby can wear plaid. just plaid. or all tie dye. or better yet: his or her birthday suit with a smearing of, say, bananas. that's what they prefer anyway.
-mia

Anonymous said...

Laura, what a concept to have the surprise element! I'm proud of you. We did it all the time back in the "dark ages". A yellow, orange and lime green nursery looked really good on Jay! He loved it, I'm sure.

A.J.

Anonymous said...

Despite all the jabs that I have taken at you about the baby, I am glad that you are going to wait to find out. I remember what Cristi and Nick went through, but I wouldn't trade a thing for the look on Nick's face as he walked down the hall to tell us all that they had a baby boy. It was a moment I will never forget!! And it is an experience that I am glad Adam will have. I will make sure that your baby boy won't wear pink home, or the little girl wearing blue. I can't wait to shop!
Oh, I did steal the yellow, orange and lime green nursery theme from AJ. Since all of you were also born in the dark ages, and we didn't know what we were having, you 3 also had the Y, O and LG nursery and I don't think it warped you too terribly much. Thanks, Jud, for the ideas, and also for letting J, J and J break in tons of clothes for the boys. You were a real life saver!

Ashley said...

Well, I think I may have said to you that I could never do it, but great for you and Adam for having that kind of will power to not find out! I am excited for you and can't wait to be a part of the big reveal!

Although, I have to say, its okay for those who know to go all pink on their girls and all blue on their boys. I didn't do that with Ad, but I understand why people do. There's something about new babies that make you do that sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I was insistant upon 'the surprise factor' when I was an expectant papa, and I have no regrets. We had no idea what kind of boogers they'd be, but Nic was a booger, and Dorothy was a booger, no pink or blue required, and that's A-OK with me. There'll be plenty of time for pink-n-blue later on, anyway. Or orange and lime-green.

Either way, God bless the child. It's all good.

~Uncle Booger