3.17.2008

Hackneyed

I have never considered myself a patriotic person. This is not to say that I don't appreciate the benefits of having been born in the United States rather than many other countries. But you are not going to find me arguing with a Swede, a Cuban, or a Colombian that I am happier and 100% better off with my U.S. citizenship. Not to get all hippie on you, but I just believe there is a much larger and greater reality than citizenship. National borders are not physically real. They are on paper and in our minds. And they change. I am more interested in being loyal to mankind and defending what I believe is good and lasting and common in all of us, no matter where on the planet our mothers gave birth to us.

Having said all of that, I am going to have an old-fashioned hissy fit if I hear one more person say they are moving to Canada if their preferred political party's candidate doesn't win the presidency in November. It is the emptiest of all threats, and it just feels like a childish tantrum to me. People who make comments like this seem to be just begging for people to take note of how passionate and unwavering they are when it comes to their political beliefs. Except we all know they probably couldn't even name all of their state senators and representatives.

I know I need to relax because we have a long way to go til November. It is just depressing that we squander this opportunity every 4 years to have a real dialogue about how sick and diseased this country is and what to do about it.

2 comments:

Uncle Booger said...

"Politickin' me off" (Nice!)

Yeah, me, too, dear.

Allow me to vent: A few zealous politicos with pumped-up ideas of how their opinions rate more highly than the those of the lowly masses have recently knee-jerked a similar reaction from yours truly, Uncle Booger. Why would a rational adult publicly postulate their own half-baked political opinion as superior to others (co-workers, in my case), and expect to instantaneously change our minds/votes? No doubt a dialogue inclusive of diverse political opinions could be a GOOD thing, but to simply thump one's chest for the candidate of their choice, as if the whole grassroots stumpin' tradition could be condensed into a one-sided, single bumpersticker-like slogan, and expect a room full of other sentient adults to conclude the best course of action is to vote for someone else's favorite candidate is beyond arogant, it's just exquisitely annoying, and it's politickin' me off. And, right, could they even name their own state representatives, ha, I seriously doubt it. Pompus blowhards.

Thanks, I feel better already.

~Uncle Booger

Ashley said...

i couldn't agree more. it really bugs me when people make the whole Canada threat too.