2.12.2008

Speaking of Emmaline...

She broke my heart in a new way this past Saturday.

Emmaline's friend Natalie was over spending the night while I was over there hanging out. Cristi told me earlier that Natalie's family was moving to Texas in June and Emmaline didn't know about it yet. Well we were all in the kitchen and Natalie asks if she can go ahead and tell Emmaline the news. Cristi and I cut each other a quick glance, both in unspoken agreement that this was about to be one of those really hard growing-up moments for this sweet little perfect girl. So Natalie delivers the news, and my heart remains in a million shattered pieces all over that kitchen floor. Emmaline's eyes were searching everywhere for a place to fixate on so that she wouldn't cry, but then the floodgates broke and she was powerless against her sadness and just could not understand why her best friend had to move away. I had to leave the room. Twice. (Way to be strong, Aunt Laura) She buried her head in her mama's stomach, sobbing, and I have never respected anyone more than I respected Cristi at that moment for keeping it together. Then, when I thought I couldn't get any more heartsick, she leans down and gives little 7-month old, clueless Bram a big hug and says, "I need my Brammy!" How will I ever teach my own children how to face disappointment gracefully when I am whimpering in the bathroom over my 5-year old niece's little personal tragedy ?

Of course, ten minutes later, they were playing again and Emmaline was showing Natalie where Texas is on the map and they are talking excitedly about the trips they will take to see each other. Then Merritt, who has missed this entire exchange, comes stumbling onto the scene from her nap, half asleep, holding her blanket. Emmaline tells her the news, and she responds without batting an eye, "I knew that." Merritt, always one step ahead of the rest.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have done the same thing I think. When you told me the story over the phone, I got teary just imagining the scene.

I love those kids more than my own life, and the thought of any of them being hurt by life kills me. Yet, that's how it goes. Emmaline, Merritt, and Bram are going to come up against life; and, at times, it will be painful for them and devastating for us to witness.

Let us focus on the positive, however. That Emmaline had to point out Texas on the map to her friend demonstrates, yet again, the intelligence of our oldest niece. That Merritt delivered that line demonstrates her wit. That Emmaline found Bram consoling demonstrates that his is a multi-purpose cuteness able to wow and comfort all at once.

Laura Sue said...

Truer words have never been spoken! Luckily kids have short attention spans, so the dramz was over pretty quickly. But still. Man.

Anonymous said...

This same experience broke my heart when we moved from B'ham. When we pulled out in our van, following the moving truck on our long trek to a new home, Wrenn sobbed and sobbed over leaving her best friends. It's the very first time her heart was broken, and it's a devestating thing as a parent. I was glad she couldn't see MY tears in the rearview mirror.

WAH!! It's just the first step on the road to real life, and we do the best we can to ease hurts and love them when we can't make it better.

Laura Sue said...

Oy vay! I just don't know how you mamas do it! My hat is off to you.

Uncle Booger said...

Aw, DAMmit, Laura, now look what you did...You made me cry.